English

Shopping Cart

0 item(s) - £0.00
Your shopping cart is empty!
The voice of the people
Lyonsleaf Beauty Balm
" I absolutely love this balm and I'm on my third jar. I can't be without it! I use it to cleanse my face and it gets rid of all make-up and leaves my skin soft and glowing. "
Amber
join the party

Organic vs Natural

There is much debate about the term 'natural'. It has been abused and many people have developed a distrust for it. We are all used to products in the chemist claiming to be natural or advertising they contain natural extracts, but a quick look at the ingredients which, thankfully, must legally all be stated, often reveals a long list of items that do not sound natural at all. Anyone who has researched some of these ingredients may be alarmed at least. This distrust of the unregulated term 'natural' has caused many consumers to prefer opting for 'organic' products because this term is regulated and products claiming to be 'organic' come with a reassuring stamp of approval, which, as we all know, comes at an extra cost. But does this mean you are getting a product that is free of ingredients that can cause harm or adverse reactions in sensitive types? It seems not.

 

It Might Be Organic, But Is It Natural?

Just because a product is labelled organic you cannot be sure that there is nothing nasty in there. We are dismayed at the number of products claiming 97% or 98% organic only to read that the other 2% or 3% are chemical preservatives or emulsifiers that can cause skin reactions. As an eczema sufferer I have learned the hard way to watch out for this sort of thing. This is why we opt for a 100% natural approach. The only way to be sure as a consumer, is to educate yourself and read the list of ingredients (which should legally be available before you buy). Now we have an internet presence we hope to be part of the positive force for consumers who do want to learn about what's going into their products.

 

What Is Natural?

We define natural as something you could technically process from plant matter (only exception beeswax) in a normal kitchen. For instance cold pressing is grinding and pressing and sometimes heating but not to high temperatures, fine by us. Refining is extracting by use of petrochemical solvents - you can't do this at home and nor do we. Drying, infusing, distilling, crushing and cooking are fine too. Anything that requires a laboratory we do not use.

 

The Natural Beauty Solution?

This policy effectively prohibits us from using water or anything with a water content, because water based products legally require a antimicrobial preservative, a natural solution to this does not exist, hence your organic products (with water) have to include non organic ingredients and these, bacteria killing ingredients are by their nature harsh. We prefer this water free 100% Natural approach and have worked hard to develop water free solutions which are easily absorbed and work beautifully. For more information on this see our Oil Based Moisturisers page.

 

Optimising purity and value

We do not focus exclusively on organic ingredients because it would make our products so much more expensive and we feel the amount of pollutants that find their way into a product because the ingredients do not originate from an organically grown source are negligible compared to the amount you get by deliberately adding chemicals to the final recipe.

We do use organic ingredients when we feel there is a great benefit. For instance citrus essential oils are cold pressed from the peel. As citrus crops heavily sprayed with pesticides a lot of pollutants would find their way into the oil so we always use organic citrus oils. Crops like Lavender are not susceptible to pests so we do not insist on organic Lavender oil as we feel the benefits do not warrant the extra expense.

We are fussy about the refining process. We use cold pressed oils rather than oils extracted using solvents. Even an organically grown crop which has had solvents added to it extract more oil from the fruit can still be labelled 'organic' as the solvents are supposed to be completely removed. There is much debate about this and we are not convinced.

We feel our products are the best on the market for optimising value and purity. If you are suspicious of products claiming to be 'natural' and need convincing about our claim just look at our list of ingredients - clearly stated on every single product so you can be sure before you buy.
 

If you want to check out a particular ingredient from any product The Skin Deep Cosmetic Ingredients Database is a good place to start.

For a full list of our ingredients see our list at Lyonsleaf Cosmetic Ingredients

 

 

Lyonsleaf Ltd • Registered address: Cheddarlea Farm, Cheddar Road, Compton Martin, Bristol. BS40 6LD • Tel: 01761 221 267

Company Number: 09749596